Whether you’re looking to improve the thermal performance of your home, soundproof your property or simply improve aesthetics, replacing your windows could be the long-term solution you’ve been searching for.
In this blog, we discuss how to replace your windows, from gathering the necessary materials and expertise to considering your unique requirements, budget and preferences.
Need a helping hand? At Benchmark Windows, we’re pleased to provide both triple and double-glazed window installation, tailored to you and your home. When you visit our showroom, you’ll get a feel for the types of windows we offer, while receiving advice from our friendly, experienced team. To discover more about what we can do for you before paying us a visit, give us a call on 01903 333145 today.
How Often Should You Replace Your Windows?
The lifespan of windows can vary depending on factors like materials, installation quality, maintenance and environmental conditions. Generally, well-maintained windows can last for several decades.
Factors to consider if you think it might be time to replace your windows include:
- The Age of Your Windows – if your windows are between 20 – 30 years old, now might be a good time to replace them. Modern advancements in window designs and energy efficiency mean newer windows are likely to be more efficient and long-lasting.
- Damage – If your windows are showing signs of damage or deterioration, like rotting frames and fogging between glass panes, it might be time to consider replacing them. Problems like these not only affect the functionality of your windows but also compromise the security of your property.
- Energy Efficiency – Are you concerned that your windows aren’t providing adequate insulation? Upgrading to energy-efficient windows can reduce your energy bills, decreasing your heating and cooling costs over time.
- Home Renovation – If you’re planning a home renovation project, now could be a good time to replace your windows, enhancing their overall aesthetics and functionality.
If you’re still uncertain about when to replace your windows, our bespoke window specialists are here to help. Visit our showroom in Lancing, West Sussex, or contact us today for expert advice tailored to your needs.
Repair or Replace Windows?
Determining whether to repair or replace your windows will depend on the severity of the deterioration, energy efficiency, aesthetics and the long-term costs of a repair versus replacement.
Consider your future plans for the house. If you’re planning an extensive renovation project that will impact the aesthetics or functionality of the windows, replacing them might be a more practical solution. On the other hand, if you’re looking to sell your home in the near future, a repair might be a more suitable choice.
How Long Does it Take to Replace Windows in a House?
Depending on the number of windows being replaced, the size and complexity of the windows and the type of installation required, the time it will take to carry out the replacement will vary.
If you’re replacing one or two windows in your home, it will typically take between a few hours to a day, depending on the complexity. However, if you’re replacing all the windows in your property, the timeframe could range from a few days to multiple weeks.
To obtain a more precise estimation, we recommend consulting with a window replacement specialist. They will assess your project requirements and consider any specific factors that may affect the time needed to complete the task.
How to Replace Your Windows
The specific steps required to replace your windows may vary depending on the type and size of the window you’re installing. Generally, in order to replace your windows, you will need to:
- Measure and Order Your New Windows – Take measurements of your existing windows and order replacements that fit the necessary dimensions.
- Ensure You Have the Right Tools and Materials – Gather the appropriate tools and materials like a hammer, tape measure, shims, etc.
- Prepare the Area – Clear the area around the windows and cover your furniture and floors with plastic sheets to protect them from dust and debris.
- Remove the Old Window – Remove any window treatments and open the window fully. Pry off the window trim, exterior siding or caulk around the window frame.
- Prepare the Rough Opening – Inspect the condition of the opening, repairing any damaged areas and ensuring the opening is clean and free of debris.
- Install the New Window – Carefully position the new window into the rough opening from the inside. Ensure it is level, plumb and square. Use shims to adjust the window in place, making sure it is tightly sealed.
- Secure the Window – Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to properly secure it into place.
- Insulate the Window – Apply insulation around the window frame to improve energy efficiency. Then, apply exterior-grade caulk around the exterior perimeter of the window to create a weatherproof seal.
- Finish – Install interior and exterior trim with a paint or stain that matches your existing decor. The final piece of advice we have on how to replace your windows is to remove any protective coverings, clean the area and admire the result.
Consult a Professional
Replacing windows is a complex, skilled task. If you’re unsure about any of the steps involved or lack the required tools and experience, we highly recommend consulting with professionals.
At Benchmark Windows, our team of experts is well-equipped to handle every aspect of the window replacement process. Regardless of your home’s style or the size of your budget, we can deliver exceptional results. If you’re seeking reliable window specialists, consider our installation services today. Give us a call on 01903 333145 and one of our friendly team members will be happy to help.